[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Explicit Synthetic Behaviour

Itai Ferber iferber at apple.com
Thu Sep 7 12:52:39 CDT 2017

I think there is a bit of confusion here as to what code synthesis does
— synthesized conformances (whether `Equatable`, `Hashable`, or
`Codable`) merely provide default implementations for something which
_already_ conforms to one of these protocols; they do not _add_
conformance to types on your behalf.

```swift
struct X {
     let val: Int
}
```

under synthesized `Equatable` does _not_ get an `==` defined for it in
the same way that it does not get `encode(to:)` or `init(from:)`. Since
it does not conform to the `Equatable` (or `Codable`) protocol, no
synthesis happens for it.

As opposed to

```swift
struct Y : Equatable {
     let val: Int
}
```

which would get a default implementation for `static func ==(…)`,
which it would otherwise already have to implement, by definition.

Synthesis does not add methods on your behalf; it only gives
implementations for methods you’d have to implement, no matter what. I
don’t know what’s going on in your case, but it’s not caused by
synthesis — if your type conforms to `Equatable`, either you would
have to define `==` yourself, or you’d get a free one. You’d see
ambiguity regardless, since you asked for the type to be `Equatable` (or
inherited that requirement).