[swift-evolution] Enums and Source Compatibility

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 11:55:31 CDT 2017

On 07.09.2017 18:23, Rod Brown wrote:

>>> Yes. By defaulting to “non fragile” we add a source incompatibility, because
>>> Swift is currently assuming fragility. In Jordan’s proposal, it is assuming
>>> fragility/exhaustive by default, and therefore would be source compatible.
>>> Good point. I keep wavering back and forth on the importance of Source
>>> Compatibility with this one. Defaulting to “exhaustive” seems dangerous to me.
>>> It makes your framework (and future versions of it) fragile without ever
>>> having to think about it. At least if the keyword of “exhaustive” or “fragile”
>>> or “sealed” meant that you actively chose the fragility that will handcuff you
>>> later down the road.
>>
>> Yes, probably(still thinking about this) I agree that 'open'('exhaustive') enum
>> should be the default for public enum; and only if author is really sure enum
>> will not change in future and to provide a space for compiler's optimizations
>> and suggest client to switch exhaustive, he/she can mark such enum as
>> exhaustive/fragile/sealed/closed/fixed. And seems like the right direction is
>> raise warnings fist, and errors in next version of Swift.
>>
>> The only question I can't find strong answer for, what my code(as a client of
>> 'open' enum) will do in 'default' case? Will it be in 95% cases the
>> fatalError().. If so, what is the difference with current situation? If my
>> switch is already exhaustive regarding some public(imported) enum, so I'm
>> processing all the possible *at the compilation time* cases - most likely I'll
>> have just fatalError() in 'default'. If my switch already contains 'default' -
>> the proposed change will not affect me at all…
>
> This was discussed earlier. As I mentioned, we should be realistic: it’s rarely a
> truly fatal error when you get an unknown enum. Unless you really can’t find a
> reasonable default, then there are almost always reasonable logical ways to handle
> it (perhaps just breaking out?). And in cases where you really need to handle each
> case, this would (almost?) always be an exhaustive enum. I can’t even imagine the
> case where it would be so critical you couldn’t handle it with reasonable control
> flow. There are always solutions like returning early, breaking out, default
> details. I see Swift code littered with fatalError() not because its needed, but
> because the developer often didn’t care enough to think it through.

Thank you for replies, Rod!

Thinking about this, if "in cases where you really need to handle each case, this
would (almost?) always be an exhaustive enum", then I tend to agree with you.

So, currently my point of view is that we need to move the way suggested by Chris,
when we need to mark public 'closed' enum, so 'open' is default, and with warning for
first time and with error in next version of Swift for switches on 'open' enum
without 'default' case. Not the way described in the proposal itself.

>> But probably it is better to have a choice what to do with future cases, than
>> have just one direction - crash at run time if new case in external enum is
>> added.
>>
>> But the same I can say for proposed 'future' case : it is better to have a
>> choice what to use - 'default', if we don't need to be exhaustive on 'open'
>> enum,  or 'future', if we need to be exhaustive on 'open' enum in compile-time
>> but separately process all future cases.
>
> “Future” might be a decent idea, but I think we’re overcomplicating it. Just use
> “default” as we always have? “Future” as a word doesn’t seem to apply, as I have
> mentioned earlier: there are cases where your framework has a private case on an
> enum. This isn’t necessarily a future case - it could be “current”. If we were to
> do this, it would make more sense to call this case word “other” instead. Again,
> though, we’re adding complexity to a switch for a very rare case and a little bit
> of developer convenience in that case.

Well... yes, seems like this. I didn't get current but private cases into account.
But I was more focused on Swift's enums, not on C's.

What do you(and others) think about such idea: if we have an exhaustive switch on
_open_ enum _without_ 'default' case, and there are *no* more known available cases
for this enum currently - compiler generates error/warning like "you have exhaustive
switch but this is an open enum new cases can be added later, so add 'default' case
to process them". But, if such(exhaustive on _open_ enum _without_ 'default' case)
switch contains not all known cases, warning/error will be different like "you have
not exhaustive switch on open enum, add 'default' case to process all others and
future cases".

I believe that with this accepted proposal, if you ever will need to keep switch
exhaustive on 'open' enum, support this code, this will be a nightmare without at
least such warnings, when you can comment the 'default' case in switch and check(by
warning/error message) if you processed all the cases or missed some. Otherwise, the
alternative, is to manually check one-by-one what you have in your switch and what
cases are in enum(in case you have new version of enum's module).

Vladimir.