[swift-evolution] Enums and Source Compatibility

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Tue Sep 5 22:44:01 CDT 2017

> On 6 Sep 2017, at 12:05 pm, Jarod Long via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> From the perspective of primarily an app developer rather than library author, I'm not a big fan of this change. I find myself in the "unhappy with the loss of compiler warnings" camp -- if I'm switching over every case of an enum, then I almost certainly want to be notified that a new case has been added by way of a compiler error than via the arbitrary runtime behavior I added in the previously-unreachable default case.

I think what you’re really asking for here is the “future” case mentioned in the Alternatives Considered section. I think that Jordan makes a good point that this would result in untestable code, which is bad practice. While the lack of clear highlighting of non-exhaustive cases is undesirable, I think untestable code is a much larger problem here.

Either way we need a way to handle forward compatibility for our code when cases get added to external frameworks, that much is clear. Swift is broken in regards to this, and we need to handle it somehow. I’m hoping you’re not suggesting that we just don’t make this change at all. We need this for forward compatibility for framework development with Swift.

> [...]
>>>
>>> For people who like exhaustive switches, we thought about adding a new kind of 'default'—let's call it 'unknownCase' just to be able to talk about it. This lets you get warnings when you update to a new SDK, but is even more likely to be untested code. We didn't think this was worth the complexity.
>>>

>>> Terminology
>>>
>>> The "Library Evolution <http://jrose-apple.github.io/swift-library-evolution/>" doc (mostly written by me) originally called these "open" and "closed" enums ("requires a default" and "allows exhaustive switching", respectively), but this predated the use of 'open' to describe classes and class members. Matthew's original thread did suggest using 'open' for enums as well, but I argued against that, for a few reasons:
>>>
>>> - For classes, "open" and "non-open" restrict what the client can do. For enums, it's more about providing the client with additional guarantees—and "non-open" is the one with more guarantees.
>>> - The "safe" default is backwards: a merely-public class can be made 'open', while an 'open' class cannot be made non-open. Conversely, an "open" enum can be made "closed" (making default cases unnecessary), but a "closed" enum cannot be made "open".
>>>
>>> That said, Clang now has an 'enum_extensibility' attribute that does take 'open' or 'closed' as an argument.
>>>
>>> On Matthew's thread, a few other possible names came up, though mostly only for the "closed" case:
>>>
>>> - 'final': has the right meaning abstractly, but again it behaves differently than 'final' on a class, which is a restriction on code elsewhere in the same module.
>>> - 'locked': reasonable, but not a standard term, and could get confused with the concurrency concept
>>> - 'exhaustive': matches how we've been explaining it (with an "exhaustive switch"), but it's not exactly the enum that's exhaustive, and it's a long keyword to actually write in source.
>>>
>>> - 'extensible': matches the Clang attribute, but also long
>>>

>>> I don't have better names than "open" and "closed", so I'll continue using them below even though I avoided them above. But I would really like to find some.
>>>

>>> Proposal
>>>
>>> Just to have something to work off of, I propose the following:
>>>
>>> 1. All enums (NS_ENUMs) imported from Objective-C are "open" unless they are declared "non-open" in some way (likely using the enum_extensibility attribute mentioned above).
>>> 2. All public Swift enums in modules compiled "with resilience" (still to be designed) have the option to be either "open" or "closed". This only applies to libraries not distributed with an app, where binary compatibility is a concern.
>>> 3. All public Swift enums in modules compiled from source have the option to be either "open" or "closed".
>>> 4. In Swift 5 mode, a public enum should be required to declare if it is "open" or "closed", so that it's a conscious decision on the part of the library author. (I'm assuming we'll have a "Swift 4 compatibility mode" next year that would leave unannotated enums as "closed".)