[swift-evolution] Enums and Source Compatibility

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Tue Sep 5 20:18:48 CDT 2017

Hi Jordan,

Upon further reflection, I’m going to withdraw my concerns about the defaulting and I think it’s the right solution after all. This is due to several thoughts I had rolling it around my head:

1. In a private project, you would expect all cases to be exhaustive, as this is guaranteed by the compiler (no compatibility concerns). Exhaustive makes sense here, as it has always done in Swift code, and is why it was the behaviour since Swift 1.
2. When we make projects public, we already need to vet them for compatibility concerns with final etc. This should be part of the process of making them public.
3. It's source compatible with libraries, as mentioned in the proposal.

I can imagine there will still be a tonne of work needed for apps compiling against Apple’s Obj-C SDKs when Swift 5 comes out due to this change. Almost all enums will become nonexhaustive, but this will then show up in documentation changes, header updates etc, and as you’ve mentioned, it will avoid confusion.

Sorry! I think I just needed some time to roll it around my head a bit haha

- Rod