[swift-evolution] [Pitch] DateComponents{Encoding/Decoding}Strategy in JSON{Encoder/Decoder}

Pitiphong Phongpattranont pitiphong.p at me.com
Tue Sep 5 12:41:33 CDT 2017

Hi Itai,

I think my first pitch email was not clear enough and want to sorry for that. I have been working on a calendar app for awhile and understand the concept of calendar or date and time programming in some level. I didn’t pitch the idea of encoding and decoding `Date` value with this `DateComponents{Encoding/Decoding}Strategy`. I still agree that `Date` value should be encoded/decoded with the `Date{Encoding/Decoding}Strategy`. The DateComponents{Encoding/Decoding}Strategy I pitched only apply for `DateComponents` value only.

About the use case, I think there are some application which store an information of a `Date` value that is not include a time value (A date of September 6th, 2017) for example a calendar app which want to store the Start and End date of an `All Day Event` with a value of DateComponents type or an alarm app which want to store just a time of the day that user want to set an recurring alarm (10:30am.)

The problem I found with the current implementation is that I have no control on how the DateComponents implement the conformance methods of the Encodable and Decodable protocol. This means that if I have a service that serialize those properties with a difference notation (ISO 8601 in my case) then I cannot rely on the auto synthesized implementation from the compiler and need to do a manual encoding/decoding by manually implement the Encodable and Decodable

Lastly, on the issue that `ISO8601` standard does not support every components in DateComponents, I still haven’t thought this though and still thinking about it. I want to pitch the idea first and would like to have a discussion/brainstorm on should we do this and how we can do it. My backup plan is doesn’t include the `iso8601` strategy but still have the `custom` strategy for those who need to apply a custom encoding/decoding strategy which will be apply to all values in a payload. Since we encode/decode a JSON from one source at a time and the encoding/decoding strategy of DateComponents of that source should be consistency throughout its types (which may be the types that I own or the types from a 3rd party service), I think this still is a valid use case for providing a custom strategy.

Thank you
— Pitiphong P.