[swift-evolution] Beyond Typewriter-Styled Code in Swift, Adoption of Symbols

Robert Bennett rltbennett at icloud.com
Thu Aug 31 18:49:37 CDT 2017

Funny, of all the debates that have taken place on this list, the one that brings out the incivility is about editors... yet another way vim and emacs prove their relevance 😏

Seriously though, is there any reason that *all* of these suggestions can’t be left to the editor? Put another way: is the real desire here nicely formatted code in a file, or *nicely formatted code displayed on your screen*? I think the general opposition is to changing the language to accommodate these features; it doesn’t seem like anyone is opposed to the features per se. Let your editor display <= as the less-than-or-equal symbol (can’t type as I’m on mobile) and convert a typed LToE symbol to <= in the file. Let your editor display x.intersect(y) as x \cap y and convert x \cap y to x.intersect(y) in the file. Etc etc. If the mathematical matrix becomes a significant part of the language, I suppose #matrix((row1 entries) (row2 entries) ... (rowN entries)) would be fine as well. But for ease of input and display across all computers and editors, the underlying code should remain easy to type on a typewriter.

My 2c.