[swift-evolution] Beyond Typewriter-Styled Code in Swift, Adoption of Symbols

John Pratt jprattx at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 14:00:09 CDT 2017

Robert: image literals and color literals are very similar
to what I am talking about.  Matrix literal?  Array data table literal?
That's what I am talking about

On Aug 29, 2017, at 8:24 PM, Robert Bennett <rltbennett at icloud.com> wrote:

But the question is, why does this need to affect the code base?

In the article you attached, they mention the antiquated one-line
calculator display. The issue with that display is not the data stored in
the calculator; it’s the display itself. An upgrade to (say) a Texas
Instruments Inspire or whatever the newest TI calculator is (in my day we
used an 83 or 84) only changes the display of the data; after all, you
input that data will old fashioned buttons as well. The calculator isn’t
doing any magic with the data itself in order to display that. If you want
nicely formatted fractions, square roots, or matrices, go to WolframAlpha
and type in your expression in ascii; you’ll see nicely formatted output.

Which is all to say, if you want pretty graphics in your code, all you need
is a better front end. The backend can — and in absence of a better
argument, should — remain unchanged.

On Aug 29, 2017, at 3:38 PM, John Pratt via swift-evolution <