[swift-evolution] Two thoughts on concurrency

Christopher Kornher ckornher at me.com
Sat Aug 26 16:31:44 CDT 2017

I don’t think that there are any simple rules that define “Complexity”. I hope that is not too off-topic...

<An aside:
Whenever anyone tells me that a UI must only have 6 (or some other arbitrary number) of elements, because of some limits on short term memory or some such, I always bring-up the fact that even simple maps (the physical things) can have thousands of names and symbols and most people (admittedly after some training as children) use them without too much effort. Of, course source files are similarly complex (well, at least iOS view controllers :). On the flip side, just a few poorly chosen options in a UI can make it incomprehensible to most users.

In short, presenting complex information is as much art as science. These books used to be very popular and are a great illustration of this: https://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi

It makes sense to make a distinction between adding keywords/modifiers to implement a niche feature and implementing fairly well established abstractions like "async/await" and “actor”. There should be a lower bar to using well established terms if the implementation is faithful to standard (and “modern”) usage. Swift does not exist in isolation, but in world where developers commonly use multiple languages. The notion of progressive disclosure is mentioned as being very important to the design to Swift and a lot of code can be written in Swift without ever needing to see "async/await”, so it this feature "meets the standard" for progressive disclosure (which probably can be more formally defined).

There should be a very high bar to adding keywords to support special cases and using common terms in non-standard ways. Of course, there will always be some differences in the exact usage of a term in different languages.

It might make sense to create a manifesto-like document of guidelines for evolving Swift that would serve as a first test or filter on proposals. The danger of creating such a document is that great proposals might fail the test “on paper” and be effectively killed.

A small nit: Swift exceptions are (thankfully) kind-of sugar for : `Result<T>` not `Result<T, Error>` meaning that Error is a protocol, not a generic parameter in Swift standard usage. As I have mentioned (to often already, probably) that I believe that whatever benefit `Result<T, Error>` brings is not worth the hassle and mismatch with Swift's standard usage of errors.