[swift-evolution] [Concurrency] async/await + actors

Marc Schlichte marc.schlichte at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 26 09:52:53 CDT 2017

> Am 26.08.2017 um 02:03 schrieb Adam Kemp via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>
> I’m not sure I understand. What is the connection between references and deadlocks?

This is what I had in mind:

To have a deadlock from async actor methods, you would need some mutual invocations of them - i.e a cycle in the call graph.

If your code is (strong) retain cycle free and you make invocations only on actors of which you have strong references, you will also have no cyclic call graph, hence no deadlocks.

Now, unfortunately - and contrary to my claim - deadlocks still can happen:

if you `await` in your async actor method on some state which can only be set via another actor method in your actor, a deadlock occurs:

Example:
```
actor class A {
  var continuation: (() -> Void)?
  actor func m1() async {
    await suspendAsync { cont in
      continuation = cont
  actor func m2() {
    continuation?()
```

If someone calls `a.m1()`, and someone else `a.m2()`, `a.m1()` still does not complete as `a.m2()` is not allowed to run while `a.m1()` is not finished.

Marking `m2` as an `interleaved actor func` would remedy that situation as it could then run when the next work item is picked from the serial gdc queue - which can happen while we `await` on the `suspendAsync` in the example above.

Cheers
Marc