[swift-evolution] [Concurrency] async/await + actors

Cavelle Benjamin cavelle at thecb4.io
Fri Aug 25 09:06:02 CDT 2017

Disclaimer: not an expert

Question
I didn’t see any where the async is required to time out after a certain time frame. I would think that we would want to specify both on the function declaration side as a default and on the function call side as a customization. That being said, the return time then becomes an optional given the timeout and the calling code would need to unwrap.

func loadWebResource(_ path: String) async -> Resource
func decodeImage(_ r1: Resource, _ r2: Resource) async -> Image
func dewarpAndCleanupImage(_ i : Image) async -> Image

func processImageData1() async -> Image {
    let dataResource  = await loadWebResource("dataprofile.txt")
    let imageResource = await loadWebResource("imagedata.dat")
    let imageTmp      = await decodeImage(dataResource, imageResource)
    let imageResult   = await dewarpAndCleanupImage(imageTmp)
    return imageResult
}

So the prior code becomes…

func loadWebResource(_ path: String) async(timeout: 1000) -> Resource?
func decodeImage(_ r1: Resource, _ r2: Resource) async -> Image?
func dewarpAndCleanupImage(_ i : Image) async -> Image?

func processImageData1() async -> Image? {
    let dataResource  = guard let await loadWebResource("dataprofile.txt”) else { // handle timeout }
    let imageResource = guard let await(timeout: 100) loadWebResource("imagedata.dat”) else { // handle timeout }
    let imageTmp      = await decodeImage(dataResource, imageResource)
    let imageResult   = await dewarpAndCleanupImage(imageTmp)
    return imageResult
}

Given this structure, the return type of all async’s would be optionals with now 3 return types??

.continuation // suspends and picks back up
.value // these are the values we are looking for
.none // took too long, so you get nothing.