[swift-evolution] Constrained Protocol Aliases

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Mon Aug 21 06:36:27 CDT 2017

It’s part of Generalized Existentials, but does not make it complete. I think it would be worth adding more and more functionality to existentials every year. We started first with reshaping the syntax. This year we added support for classes. I think next year would be good to have where clause support for typealiases.

I understand the complexity of that particular feature, and it’s a no-go for me to help on the implementation, but I’m willing to drive the discussion and the proposal forward with other co-authors. :)

Hasn’t it been said that the implementation must be at least a *proof-of-concept* if the complexity is very high?

And my second question is: Wouldn’t the existence of this feature reshape some parts of the standard library, isn’t that affecting some major goals of Swift 5?

It would be nice if someone from the core team can clarify if the where clause is out of scope for Swift 5 or not.