[swift-evolution] [Concurrency] async/await + actors: cancellation

Jan Tuitman jan.tuitman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 00:08:30 CDT 2017

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the answers so far!

Abrupt cancellation is indeed not a good idea, but I wander if it is possible on every place where “await” is being used, to let the compiler generate  code which handles cancellation, assuming that can be cheap enough (and I am not qualified to judge if that is indeed the case)

Especially in the case where “await” implies “throws”, part of what you need for that is already in place. I imagine that it would work like this:
I imagine f(x) -> T is compiled as something that looks like f(x, callback: (T) -> Void). What if this was f(x,process, callback) where process is a simple pointer, that goes out of scope together with callback? This pointer the compiler can use to access a compiler generated mutable state, to see if the top level beginAsync { } in which context the call is being executed, has been canceled. The compiler could generate this check whenever it is going to do a new await call to a deeper level, and if the check said that the top level is canceled, the compiler can throw an exception.

Would that introduce too much overhead? It does not seem to need references to the top level any longer than the callback needs to be kept alive.

I am asking this, because once Async/await is there, it will probably immediately become very popular, but the use case of having to abort a task from the same location where you start the task, is of course a very common one. Think of a view controller downloading some resources and then being moved of the screen by the user.

if everybody needs to wrap Async/await in classes which handle the cancellation, and share state with the tasks that can be cancelled, it might be cleaner to solve this problem in an invisible way, so that it is also standardized. This way there is more separation between the code of the task and the code that starts and cancels the task.

I assume actors in the future also are going to need a way to tell each other that pending messages can be cancelled, so, I think, in the end you need something for cancellation anyways.

For the programmer it would look like this:

var result ....
var process = beginAsync {
   result = await someSlowFunctionWithManyAwaitsInside(x)

}

// if it is no longer needed.
process.cancel()
// this will raise an exception inside someSlowFunction if this function enters an await.
// but not if it is waiting or actively doing something. So, it is also not guaranteed to cancel the function.

Regards,
Jan