[swift-evolution] SE-184 Improved Pointers

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Sat Aug 19 21:28:35 CDT 2017

> On Aug 19, 2017, at 6:42 PM, Taylor Swift <kelvin13ma at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 9:31 PM, Andrew Trick <atrick at apple.com <mailto:atrick at apple.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 19, 2017, at 6:16 PM, Taylor Swift <kelvin13ma at gmail.com <mailto:kelvin13ma at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> What you’re describing is basically an earlier version of the proposal which had a slightly weaker precondition (source >= destination) than yours (source == destination). That one basically ignored the Sequence methods at the expense of greater API surface area.
>
> The Sequence methods don’t provide the simpler, more convenient form of initialization/deinitialization that I thought you wanted. I see two reasonable options.
>
> 1. Don’t provide any new buffer initialization/deinitialization convenience. i.e. drop UsafeMutableBufferPointer moveInitialize, moveAssign, and deinitialize from your proposal.
>
> 2. Provide the full set of convenience methods: initialize, assign, moveInitialize, and moveAssign assuming self.count==source.count. And provide deinitialize() to be used only in conjunction with those new initializers.
>
> The question is really whether those new methods are going to significantly simplify your code. If not, #1 is the conservative choice. Don't provide convenience which could be misused. Put off solving that problem until we can design a new move-only buffer type that tracks partially initialized state.
>
> -Andy
>

> I’m not sure the answer is to just omit methods from UnsafeMutableBufferPointer since most of the original complaints circulated around having to un-nil baseAddress to do anything with them.

I know un-nil’ing baseAddress is horrible, but I don’t think working around that is an important goal yet. Eventually there will be a much safer, more convenient mechanism for manual allocation that doesn’t involve “pointers". I also considered adding API surface to UnsafeMutableBufferPointer.Slice, but that’s beyond what we should do now and may also become irrelevant when we have a more sophisticated buffer type.

> What if only unary methods should be added to UnsafeMutableBufferPointer without count:, meaning:
>
> initialize(repeating:)

I actually have no problem with this one... except that it could be confused with UnsafeMutablePointer.initialize(repeating:), but I’ll ignore that since we already discussed it.

> assign(repeating:)
> deinitialize()

These are fine only if we have use cases that warrant them AND those use cases are expected to fully initialize the buffer, either via initialize(repeating:) or initialize(from: buffer) with precondition(source.count==self.count). They don’t really make sense for the use case that I’m familiar with. Without clear motivating code patterns, they aren’t worth the risk. “API Completeness” doesn’t have intrinsic value.

> and the other methods should take both an offset parameter instead of a count parameter:
>
> initialize(from:at:)
> assign(from:at:)
> moveInitialize(from:at:)
> moveAssign(from:at:)
>
> which provides maximum explicitness. This requires improvements to buffer pointer slicing though. But I’m not a fan of the mission creep that’s working into this proposal (i only originally wrote the thing to get allocate(capacity:) and deallocate() into UnsafeMutableBufferPointer!)

I’m open to that, with source.count <= self.count + index. They are potentially ambiguous (the `at` could refer to a source index) but consistent with the idea that this API is for copying an entire source buffer into a slice of the destination buffer. Again, we need to find real code that benefits from this, but I expect the stdlib could use these.

-Andy