[swift-evolution] [Concurrency] async/await + actors

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Sat Aug 19 15:29:41 CDT 2017

> Le 19 août 2017 à 11:38, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> a écrit :
>

> Sent from my iPad

>>> By the commonly accepted definition, Array<UIView> does not provide value semantics.

>>> An aspect of the type (“does it have value semantics or not”) should not depend on the clients.  By your definition, every type has value semantics if none of the mutating operations are called :-)
>>
>> No, not mutating operations. Access to mutable memory shared by multiple "values" is what breaks value semantics. You can get into this situation using pointers, object references, or global variables. It's all the same thing in the end: shared memory that can mutate.
>>
>> For demonstration's sake, here's a silly example of how you can give Array<Int> literally the same semantics as Array<UIView>:
>>
>> 	// shared UIView instances in global memory
>> 	var instances: [UIView] = []
>>
>> 	extension Array where Element == Int {
>>
>> 		// append a new integer to the array pointing to our UIView instance
>> 		func append(view: UIView) {
>> 			self.append(instances.count)
>> 			instances.append(newValue)
>> 		}
>>
>> 		// access views pointed to by the integers in the array
>> 		subscript(viewAt index: Int) -> UIView {
>> 			get {
>> 				return instances[self[index]]
>> 			}
>> 			set {
>> 				self[index] = instances.count
>> 				instances.append(newValue)
>> 			}
>> 		}
>> 	}
>>
>> And now you need to worry about passing Array<Int> to other thread. ;-)
>>
>> It does not really matter whether the array contains pointers or wether it contains indices into a global table: in both cases access to the same mutable memory is accessible through multiple copies of an array, and this is what breaks value semantics.
>>
>> Types cannot enforce value semantics. Its the functions you choose to call that matters. This is especially important to realize in a language with extensions where you can't restrict what functions gets attached to a type.
>
> This gets deeper into the territory of the conversation Dave A and I had a while ago.  I think this conflates value semantics with pure functions, which I think is a mistake.
>
> I agree that if you assume away reference counting a function that takes Array<UIView> but never dereferences the pointers can still be a pure function.  However, I disagree that Array<UIView> has value semantics.

> [...]

The reason we're discussing value semantics here is because they are useful making concurrency safer. If we define the meaning of value semantics as "a type where a subset of the member functions (the important ones) can be used with concurrency" then that definition of value semantics lose quite a bit of its value for solving the problem at hand. It's too vague.

I'm not actually that interested in the meaning of value semantics here. I'm debating the appropriateness of determining whether something can be done in another thread based on the type a function is attached to. Because that's what the ValueSemantical protocol wants to do. ValueSemantical, as a protocol, is whitelisting the whole type while in reality it should only vouch for a specific set of safe functions on that type.

--
Michel Fortin
https://michelf.ca