[swift-evolution] [Concurrency] async/await + actors

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sat Aug 19 09:41:22 CDT 2017

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 19, 2017, at 12:29 AM, Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
>    listActor.delete(at: index)                // Void, so it doesn't wait
>    let count = await listActor.getCount()    // But we want the count *after* the deletion!
>
> Perhaps we should depend on the caller to use a future (or a `beginAsync(_:)` call) when they want to fire-and-forget? And yet sometimes a message truly *can't* tell you when it's finished, and we don't want APIs to over-promise on when they tell you they're done. I don't know.
>
>> I agree.  That is one reason that I think it is important for it to have a (non-defaulted) protocol requirement.  Requiring someone to implement some code is a good way to get them to think about the operation… at least a little bit.
>
> I wondered if that might have been your reasoning.
>
>> That said, the design does not try to *guarantee* memory safety, so there will always be an opportunity for error.
>
> True, but I think we could mitigate that by giving this protocol a relatively narrow purpose. If we eventually build three different features on `ValueSemantical`, we don't want all three of those features to break when someone abuses the protocol to gain access to actors.
>
>>> I also worry that the type behavior of a protocol is a bad fit for `ValueSemantical`. Retroactive conformance to `ValueSemantical` is almost certain to be an unprincipled hack; subclasses can very easily lose the value-semantic behavior of their superclasses, but almost certainly can't have value semantics unless their superclasses do. And yet having `ValueSemantical` conformance somehow be uninherited would destroy Liskov substitutability.
>>
>> Indeed.  See NSArray vs NSMutableArray.
>>
>> OTOH, I tend to think that retroactive conformance is really a good thing, particularly in the transition period where you’d be dealing with other people’s packages who haven’t adopted the model.  You may be adopting it for their structs afterall.
>>
>> An alternate approach would be to just say “no, you can’t do that.  If you want to work around someone else’s problem, define a wrapper struct and mark it as ValueSemantical”.  That design could also work.
>
> Yeah, I think wrapper structs are a workable alternative to retroactive conformance.
>
> What I basically envision (if we want to go with a general `ValueSemantical`-type solution) is that, rather than being a protocol, we would have a `value` keyword that went before the `enum`, `struct`, `class`, or `protocol` keyword. (This is somewhat similar to the proposed `moveonly` keyword.) It would not be valid before `extension`, except perhaps on a conditional extension that only applied when a generic or associated type was `value`, so retroactive conformance wouldn't really be possible. You could also use `value` in a generic constraint list just as you can use `class` there.

A modifier on the type feels like the right approach to specifying value semantics to me.  Regardless of which approach we take, it feels like something that needs to be implicit for structs and enums where value semantics is trivially provable by way of transitivity.  When that is not the case we could require an explicit `value` or `nonvalue` annotation (specific keywords subject to bikeshedding of course).