[swift-evolution] [Concurrency] async/await + actors

Mike Sanderson m at mikesand.com
Fri Aug 18 19:16:16 CDT 2017

I can’t speak to the more low-level implications, but to the extent this is
essentially “syntactic sugar for completion handlers,” I can base my
opinion on making iOS apps in different contexts for about 5 years. (Long
enough to remember when Objective-C Blocks as completion handlers were the
great new thing that was going to perfectly solve all our problems). I
especially appreciated the clear goals section of the proposal, which I
thought was on-target.

I have some uncertainty about how async/await will work in
practice—literally, how to use it. Some of this is just needing to see many
more examples and examples in common scenarios at the site of use and in
the creation of async functions.

Most of the questions I had I answered myself in the course of writing this
up, but I include them for confirmation and to call attention to aspects
that may not be clear. (I also tend to use block and closure
interchangeably when it reads better, especially where I learned them as
objective-C completion blocks, please do correct if necessary.) I hope the
write up will provide some clarity for others (assuming it's basically
correct or correctly labeled where it may not be) and provide feedback on
where it could be more clear.

*Starting at beginAsync*

@IBAction func buttonDidClick(sender:AnyObject) {

    // 1

    beginAsync {

        // 2

        let image = await processImage()

        imageView.image = image

    }

    // 3

}

After entering a beginAsync block, code will continue to execute inside the
block (like do blocks now) until it encounters an await-marked function. In
this sense it’s more beginAsyncContext not begin-being-asynchronous, which
is how it could be read. Although the end of this block will be where
synchronicity will resume once execution goes async (suspends?) inside it.

At the point of an await function, two things can happen: 1) If the
function needs time to execute -- if "it suspends" is how to describe it?
-- code execution will jump to outside the beginAsync block. 2) If the
function has its result already, code execution will continue inside the
block, or jump to catch error if it exists? (This would not be different
from now in that a receiver of a completion block can invoke it
immediately, before returning).

This is important to clarify because after the async block (or any
functions with completion blocks now) code afterwards can’t assume what
might have happened. But this proposal doesn’t solve the problem seen in
the @IBAction example, of order 1, 3, 2, which is actually worse because if
you can have immediate completion you aren’t sure if it is 1, 3, 2, or 1,
2, 3. This is actually an easy enough situation to handle if you’re aware
of it.

*Use of suspendAsync*

suspendAsync is the point at which the waiting is actually triggered? For a
while this threw me at first (no pun intended). Since it looks like the
more common transitive verb form of “suspend”, I read this as
“suspending-the-async”, therefore, resuming. The primitives looked like
beginAsync started doing something asynchronous and suspendAsync resumed
synchronous execution? Maybe the better order would be asyncSuspend (paired
with asyncBegin--or even better for that, asyncContext) would be less
likely to be confused this way? (More on the primitives just below)

However, even inside the block passed to suspendAsync the code is not
asynchronous yet. The code in the block passed to suspendAsync is still
executed at the time the block is passed in. That code is responsible for
taking the continuation block and error block, escaping with them and
storing them somewhere, and invoking either when the value or error is
ready. Is it correct that those blocks will be called on thread that
suspendAsync was called on?

It was also somewhat unclear what happens then the block passed to
suspendAsync reaches the end. Since suspendAsync is itself an async function
called with await, it looks like control now passes back to the end of the
original beginAsync block, wherever that is. That the getStuff() async wrapper
example returns the result of the call to suspendAsync in one line obscured
what was going on. That was

func getStuff() async -> Stuff {

    return await suspendAsync { continuation in

        getStuff(completion: continuation)

What's going on would be more clear over two lines. For example if we
wanted to do further processing after getting our async result before
returning:

func getStuff() async -> Stuff {

    let rawStuff = await suspendAsync { continuation in

        getStuff(completion: continuation)

    }

    return processed(rawStuff)

}

Where exactly execution is paused and will resume is more clear.

In fact, the show the full async/await life cycle, it’s possible to
demonstrate in the same scope before introducing the semantics of async
functions:

beginAsync {

    do {

        let stuff = try await suspendAsync { continuation, error in

            //perform long-running task on other queue then call
continuation, error as appropriate

        }

        //Continuation block resumes here with `stuff`

        doSomething(with: stuff)

    } catch {

        //error block resumes here

        handleGettingStuffError(error)

This is correct? While as the comments state it may be true that eventually
many users won’t need to interact with suspendAsync (though I think
beginAsync will remain common, such as the @IBAction example) it’s familiar
the key method that breaks familiar procedural execution and creates the
blocks that will allow it to resume. During the transition it will be
especially important for those adapting their own or others’ code. It
should be prominent.

One opinion point that I do want to mention though about the last example:
There should probably be just one suspendAsync method, the one with an
error continuation. First, if there's the no-error version then that will
probably proliferate in examples (seen already) coders will get learn how
to use await/async ignoring errors, a habit we’ll have to break later. But
if there's only one suspend method, then await would always include try,
forcing programmers who want to ignore them to have an empty catch block
(or use the space for a comment with your legitimate reason!). An
empty/comment only catch block would also be the case for legacy APIs with
no completion error parameter, though maybe these could be imported as
throwing Error.nil or Error.false, etc.  So all uses would look like beginAsync
{ … } catch { … }.

beginAsync {

    let stuff = await suspendAsync { continuation, error in

        //perform long-running task on other queue then call continuation,
error as appropriate

    }

    //Continuation block resumes here with `stuff`

    doSomething(with: stuff)

} catch {

    //error block resumes here

    handleGettingStuffError(error)

}

I don’t lightly suggest trying to use syntax to force good habits, but in
this case it would be the cleaner API. The alternative is forcing code that
does handle errors to look like the last example above, obviously more
ungainly than code that ignores errors. Handling errors is already too easy
to ignore.

There are more substantive points that I want to touch on later, largely
from my use of a promise/future frameworks as part of a production app that
went really well, even when working with UIKit, AppDelegate,
NSNotification. (I also worked on a project where the last guy had rolled
his own promises/futures system; you can guess how that went.)

But I wanted to clarify the basics of use. Thanks for this proposal and
everyone’s comments.

Mike Sanderson