[swift-evolution] typed throws

Michael Ilseman milseman at apple.com
Fri Aug 18 13:01:10 CDT 2017

Wouldn’t switching from `async` to `async throws` be both a source and ABI break for libraries? If so, there is a library evolution argument to `async` also encompassing throws as a reasonable default. It's likely that the non-throwing-ness of many `async` operations is an artifact of the initial implementation rather than deliberate design. Using the more verbose `async(non-throwing)` (or even some other keyword `generator|yielding|…`) makes it a deliberate API decision rather than an accidental omission.