[swift-evolution] typed throws

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Fri Aug 18 09:19:08 CDT 2017

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 18, 2017, at 1:27 AM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:

>> On Aug 18, 2017, at 12:58 AM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>> Splitting this off into its own thread:
>>
>>> On Aug 17, 2017, at 7:39 PM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> wrote:
>>> One related topic that isn’t discussed is type errors.  Many third party libraries use a Result type with typed errors.  Moving to an async / await model without also introducing typed errors into Swift would require giving up something that is highly valued by many Swift developers.  Maybe Swift 5 is the right time to tackle typed errors as well.  I would be happy to help with design and drafting a proposal but would need collaborators on the implementation side.
>>
>> Typed throws is something we need to settle one way or the other, and I agree it would be nice to do that in the Swift 5 cycle.
>>
>> For the purposes of this sub-discussion, I think there are three kinds of code to think about:
>> 1) large scale API like Cocoa which evolve (adding significant functionality) over the course of many years and can’t break clients.
>> 2) the public API of shared swiftpm packages, whose lifecycle may rise and fall - being obsoleted and replaced by better packages if they encounter a design problem.
>> 3) internal APIs and applications, which are easy to change because the implementations and clients of the APIs are owned by the same people.
>>
>> These each have different sorts of concerns, and we hope that something can start out as #3 but work its way up the stack gracefully.
>>
>> Here is where I think things stand on it:
>> - There is consensus that untyped throws is the right thing for a large scale API like Cocoa.  NSError is effectively proven here.  Even if typed throws is introduced, Apple is unlikely to adopt it in their APIs for this reason.
>> - There is consensus that untyped throws is the right default for people to reach for for public package (#2).
>> - There is consensus that Java and other systems that encourage lists of throws error types lead to problematic APIs for a variety of reasons.
>> - There is disagreement about whether internal APIs (#3) should use it.  It seems perfect to be able to write exhaustive catches in this situation, since everything in knowable. OTOH, this could encourage abuse of error handling in cases where you really should return an enum instead of using throws.
>> - Some people are concerned that introducing typed throws would cause people to reach for it instead of using untyped throws for public package APIs.
>
> Even for non-public code.  The only practical merit of typed throws I have ever seen someone demonstrate is that it would let them use contextual lookup in a throw or catch.  People always say "I'll be able to exhaustively switch over my errors", and then I ask them to show me where they want to do that, and they show me something that just logs the error, which of course does not require typed throws.  Every.  Single.  Time.

I agree that exhaustive switching over errors is something that people are extremely likely to actually want to do.  I also think it's a bit of a red herring.  The value of typed errors is *not* in exhaustive switching.  It is in categorization and verified documentation.

Here is a concrete example that applies to almost every app.  When you make a network request there are many things that could go wrong to which you may want to respond differently:
* There might be no network available.  You might recover by updating the UI to indicate that and start monitoring for a reachability change.
* There might have been a server error that should eventually be resolved (500).  You might update the UI and provide the user the ability to retry.
* There might have been an unrecoverable server error (404).  You will update the UI.
* There might have been a low level parsing error (bad JSON, etc).  Recovery is perhaps similar in nature to #2, but the problem is less likely to be resolved quickly so you may not provide a retry option.  You might also want to do something to notify your dev team that the server is returning JSON that can't be parsed.
* There might have been a higher-level parsing error (converting JSON to model types).  This might be treated the same as bad JSON.  On the other hand, depending on the specifics of the app, you might take an alternate path that only parses the most essential model data in hopes that the problem was somewhere else and this parse will succeed.

All of this can obviously be accomplished with untyped errors.  That said, using types to categorize errors would significantly improve the clarity of such code.  More importantly, I believe that by categorizing errors in ways that are most relevant to a specific domain a library (perhaps internal to an app) can encourage developers to think carefully about how to respond.

Bad error handling is pervasive.  The fact that everyone shows you code that just logs the error is a prime example of this.  It should be considered a symptom of a problem, not an acceptable status quo to be maintained.  We need all the tools at our disposal to encourage better thinking about and handling of errors.  Most importantly, I think we need a middle ground between completely untyped errors and an exhaustive list of every possible error that might happen.  I believe a well designed mechanism for categorizing errors in a compiler-verified way can do exactly this.

In many respects, there are similarities to this in the design of `NSError` which provides categorization via the error domain.  This categorization is a bit more broad than I think is useful in many cases, but it is the best example I'm aware of.

The primary difference between error domains and the kind of categorization I am proposing is that error domains categorize based on the source of an error whereas I am proposing categorization driven by likely recovery strategies.  Recovery is obviously application dependent, but I think the example above demonstrates that there are some useful generalizations that can be made (especially in an app-specific library), even if they don't apply everywhere.

> Sometimes we then go on to have a conversation about wrapping errors in other error types, and that can be interesting, but now we're talking about adding a big, messy feature just to get "safety" guarantees for a fairly minor need.

I think you're right that wrapping errors is tightly related to an effective use of typed errors.  You can do a reasonable job without language support (as has been discussed on the list in the past).  On the other hand, if we're going to introduce typed errors we should do it in a way that *encourages* effective use of them.  My opinion is that encouraging effect use means categorizing (wrapping) errors without requiring any additional syntax beyond the simple `try` used by untyped errors.  In practice, this means we should not need to catch and rethrow an error if all we want to do is categorize it.  Rust provides good prior art in this area.

> Programmers often have an instinct to obsess over error taxonomies that is very rarely directed at solving any real problem; it is just self-imposed busy-work.

I agree that obsessing over intricate taxonomies is counter-productive and should be discouraged.  On the other hand, I hope the example I provided above can help to focus the discussion on a practical use of types to categorize errors in a way that helps guide *thinking* and therefore improves error handling in practice.