[swift-evolution] typed throws

Charlie Monroe charlie at charliemonroe.net
Fri Aug 18 02:28:37 CDT 2017

> [...]
>
>> On Aug 18, 2017, at 12:58 AM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>> Splitting this off into its own thread:
>>
>>> On Aug 17, 2017, at 7:39 PM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> wrote:
>>> One related topic that isn’t discussed is type errors.  Many third party libraries use a Result type with typed errors.  Moving to an async / await model without also introducing typed errors into Swift would require giving up something that is highly valued by many Swift developers.  Maybe Swift 5 is the right time to tackle typed errors as well.  I would be happy to help with design and drafting a proposal but would need collaborators on the implementation side.
>>
>> Typed throws is something we need to settle one way or the other, and I agree it would be nice to do that in the Swift 5 cycle.
>>
>> For the purposes of this sub-discussion, I think there are three kinds of code to think about:
>> 1) large scale API like Cocoa which evolve (adding significant functionality) over the course of many years and can’t break clients.
>> 2) the public API of shared swiftpm packages, whose lifecycle may rise and fall - being obsoleted and replaced by better packages if they encounter a design problem.
>> 3) internal APIs and applications, which are easy to change because the implementations and clients of the APIs are owned by the same people.
>>
>> These each have different sorts of concerns, and we hope that something can start out as #3 but work its way up the stack gracefully.
>>
>> Here is where I think things stand on it:
>> - There is consensus that untyped throws is the right thing for a large scale API like Cocoa.  NSError is effectively proven here.  Even if typed throws is introduced, Apple is unlikely to adopt it in their APIs for this reason.
>> - There is consensus that untyped throws is the right default for people to reach for for public package (#2).
>> - There is consensus that Java and other systems that encourage lists of throws error types lead to problematic APIs for a variety of reasons.
>> - There is disagreement about whether internal APIs (#3) should use it.  It seems perfect to be able to write exhaustive catches in this situation, since everything in knowable. OTOH, this could encourage abuse of error handling in cases where you really should return an enum instead of using throws.
>> - Some people are concerned that introducing typed throws would cause people to reach for it instead of using untyped throws for public package APIs.
>
> Even for non-public code.  The only practical merit of typed throws I have ever seen someone demonstrate is that it would let them use contextual lookup in a throw or catch.  People always say "I'll be able to exhaustively switch over my errors", and then I ask them to show me where they want to do that, and they show me something that just logs the error, which of course does not require typed throws.  Every.  Single.  Time.

The issue I see here with non-typed errors is that relying on documentation is very error-prone. I'll give an example where I've used exhaustive error catching (but then again, I was generally the only one using exhaustive enum switches when we discussed those). I've made a simple library for reporting purchases to a server. The report needs to be signed using a certificate and there are some validations to be made.

This generally divides the errors into three logical areas - initialization (e.g. errors when loading the certificate, etc.), validation (when the document doesn't pass validation) and sending (network error, error response from the server, etc.).

Instead of using a large error enum, I've split this into three enums. At this point, especially for a newcommer to the code, he may not realize which method can throw which of these error enums.

I've found that the app can take advantage of knowing what's wrong. For example, if some required information is missing e.g. Validation.subjectNameMissing is thrown. In such case the application can inform the user that name is missing and it can offer to open UI to enter this information (in the case of my app, the UI for sending is in the document view, while the mentioned "subject name" information is in Preferences).

This way I exhaustively switch over the error enums, suggesting to the user solution of the particular problem without dumbing down to a message "Oops, something went wrong, but I have no idea what because this kind of error is not handled.".

Alternatives I've considered:

- wrapping all the errors into an "Error" enum which would switch over type of the error, which is not a great solution as in some cases you only throw one type of error
- I could throw some error that only contains verbose description of the problem (generally a String), but I don't feel it's the library's job to stringify the error as it can be used for a command-line tools as well

Perhpas I'm missing something, but dealing with UI and presenting an adequate error dialog to the user can be a challenge in current state of things given that currently, in the error catching, you fallback to the basic Error type and generally don't have a lot of options but to display something like "unknown error" - which is terrible for the user.