[swift-evolution] [Concurrency] async/await + actors

William Jon Shipley wjs at delicious-monster.com
Thu Aug 17 19:01:30 CDT 2017

I’m curious about this statement at the end in "alternatives":

> The proposed design eliminates the problem of calling an API (without knowing it is async) and getting a Future<T> back instead of the expected T result type. C# addresses this by suggesting that all async methods have their name be suffixed with Async, which is suboptimal.

Not that I necessarily think always returning Futures would be good (or bad), but it seems to me like since we’re required to use the “await” keyword now, we’d just have some similar keyword in an always-Future-returning universe, like:

let image = future makeImage()

-W