[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Improve `init(repeating:count)`

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Thu Aug 17 16:01:19 CDT 2017

> On Aug 17, 2017, at 12:04 PM, Max Moiseev <moiseev at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 17, 2017, at 10:05 AM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Also, for those of you here who haven't heard my previous rant on the subject, I dislike using map for generating values that don't depend on transforming a domain to a range. (It has been argued that `_ in` is mapping from `Void`, but I still dislike it immensely)
>
> Can you please elaborate why (or maybe point me at the rant)?

. Since this application is a generator and not a transformative function, `map` is a misfit to usage semantics. It breaks the contract that map means to project from a domain to a range via a function. More languages conventionally use `collect` than `map` to collect n applications of a generator closure

-- E