[swift-evolution] Swift source mentorship program

Jay Abbott jay at abbott.me.uk
Mon Aug 14 15:35:35 CDT 2017

I think we should have some kind of mentorship program for the swift
source. I'm confident that my following statement doesn't apply to just me:

"I'd love to get involved in the source a lot more, and my previous efforts
to browse around and understand it a bit better have been thwarted by lack
of time, a specific goal/direction, and no proper commitment (all my own
failings of course). I'd be happy to learn the code and implement
proposals, but I really want someone to turn to when I need some help and
guidance."

In addition to the core team, I think there are a few others who know the
code well enough, and who may be willing to mentor and share that knowledge
further. Having a specific mentor makes it much easier to get to a level
where you feel comfortable talking to the wider development community on
swift-dev for example.

There would need to be some level of self-starting bar, which would need to
be supported by some documentation to read, and some simple tasks/tutorials
to complete (For example create a branch which removes an existing feature
and a tutorial to re-implement it, that touches a few key areas of the
code-base). The swift project and the evolution process would benefit by
having more potential implementors, so writing such documentation and
getting-started guides should be a high priority in order to help people
get more involved. Once complete, it would be great to choose a proposal,
find a mentor, and start work on it under their guidance.

I believe effort focused in this area will have a high return, given the
high quality and quantity of passion and talent I see in this list.