[swift-evolution] SE-184 Improved Pointers

Taylor Swift kelvin13ma at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 19:23:54 CDT 2017

I’ve revised the proposal based on what I learned from trying to implement
these changes. I think it’s worth tacking the existing methods that take
Sequences at the same time as this actually makes the design a bit simpler.
<https://gist.github.com/kelvin13/5edaf43dcd3d6d9ed24f303fc941214c>

*The previous version
<https://gist.github.com/kelvin13/1b8ae906be23dff22f7a7c4767f0c907> of this
document ignored the generic initialization methods on
UnsafeMutableBufferPointer and UnsafeMutableRawBufferPointer, leaving them
to be overhauled at a later date, in a separate proposal. Instead, this
version of the proposal leverages those existing methods to inform a more
compact API design which has less surface area, and is more future-proof
since it obviates the need to design and add another (redundant) set of
protocol-oriented pointer APIs later.*