[swift-evolution] Enums and Source Compatibility

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 04:59:10 CDT 2017

On 11.08.2017 2:37, Jordan Rose wrote:
> Both you and Vladimir are bringing up this point, with Vladimir explicitly suggesting
> a "future" case that's different from "default". Again, the pushback we get here is
> that the "future" case is untestable…but maybe that's still an option worth having.

I wonder, how the 'default' in exhaustive switch on open enum is testable?

I mean, let's say we have such enum in one of the frameworks:

open enum MyOpenEnum {
   case one
   case two
}

, then in our code:

switch myOpenEnumInstance {
   case .one : ...
   case .two : ...
   default : ... // how this can be tested?
}

I just strongly feel that be able to keep switch exhaustive at the moment of
compilation - is critical requirement in some cases, when it is very important to not
forget to process some cases. With just 'default' in switch for open enum - we are
loosing this compiler's help. This is why 'future' case is required for open enums.

Also, if I understand correctly, we are going to have most of all extern(imported)
enums as 'open'. So, we are loosing the feature to receive a help for exhaustive
switch from compiler for most of such enums.

Moreover, shouldn't we just say that enums, that we have no Swift sources for at the
moment of compilation - should *always* be treated as 'open'? If we compile our
'switch' together with the source of switched enum - such enum can not be changed in
the future.
But, if enum is coming from other framework - we have no any control over it, and
even author of framework IMO can't be sure in most cases that enum will not be
extended in future, and probably we even should not ask author of framework to
consider its enum closed, as most likely one can't foresee for sure.

Wouldn't this be a simpler and more robust model to think about enums in Swift?
So you know, that *any* enum coming from framework(not from source) - can be changed
in future, and so you have to process this case explicitly. In this case we don't
need to mark enum as 'open' or 'closed' at all, but for some rare cases, when author
of framework *really sure* enum can not be changed in future(and future change in
enum will break all the code depending on it), we can introduce some 'final'
marker(or @exhaustive directive) to help compiler's optimizations.

Btw, is open enum is allowed to change the type of associated value for some cases or
even enum's raw type? I.e. what changes in open enum will lead to crash in our code
and which will just be processed in 'default'/'future' block in switch?

Vladimir. (P.S. Sorry for long reply)