[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0185 - Synthesizing Equatable and Hashable conformance

Tony Allevato tony.allevato at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 17:34:48 CDT 2017

Do you mean something like this, then?

```
struct Foo: Equatable {
  let x: Int
}

func test<T: Equatable>(_ lhs: T, _ rhs: T) -> Bool {
  return lhs == rhs
}

extension Foo {
  static func == (lhs: Foo, rhs: Foo) -> Bool {
    return lhs.x % 2 == rhs.x % 2

print(test(Foo(x: 5), Foo(x: 7)))  // true
```

That seems to work.

I just tested the Annoying example as well and yes, the version from the
Annoying extension is what gets called in my implementation.

I agree with you that that seems like the correct behavior—the manually
written version takes precedence over the synthesized version, even though
it comes from a different protocol extension; synthesized versions should
always be the last resort because they're not controlled by the user,
correct?

This also seems consistent with the way regular methods are resolved if we
take synthesis completely out of the equation:

```
protocol Fooquatable {
  static func foo(lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Bool
}

protocol Annoying {}
extension Annoying {
  static func foo(lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Bool {
    print("annoying")
    return true
struct Foo: Fooquatable, Annoying {
  let x: Int
}

func foo<T: Fooquatable>(_ lhs: T, _ rhs: T) -> Bool {
  return T.foo(lhs: lhs, rhs: rhs)
}

print(foo(Foo(x: 5), Foo(x: 6)))  // annoying, true
```

Does this seems reasonable? (Assuming I'm testing the right thing. :)