[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0185 - Synthesizing Equatable and Hashable conformance

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Thu Aug 10 13:05:49 CDT 2017

[Proposal: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0185-synthesize-equatable-hashable.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0185-synthesize-equatable-hashable.md>]

Hi, Tony. Glad to see this back again!

Overall I'm an enthusiastic +1. The restrictions and future work you've listed make sense, and I think this is the right starting place. I just have one thing I'd want to clarify:

> Any user-provided implementations of == or hashValue will override the default implementations that would be provided by the compiler.

Does this include implementations in (possibly constrained) protocol extensions? I assume yes, but that's probably worth calling out explicitly. Still, it could be confusing to some users.

Jordan