[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0185 - Synthesizing Equatable and Hashable conformance

Jon Shier jon at jonshier.com
Wed Aug 9 18:21:27 CDT 2017

> • What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+∞ - 1 (for no extension synthesis)

> • Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Most certainly. This is a major pain point, especially for structs with many members.

> • Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes, though I don’t particularly care about compiler magic like some, especially in such a useful case.

> • If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I believe Scala with synthesize the equivalent of Equatable conformance for class cases, and I’ve used Mantle in Objective-C, which did the same dynamically for types which inherited from the right types.

> • How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Studied it when originally proposed, glanced for a rearview.

Jon Shier