[swift-evolution] SE-184 Improved Pointers

Taylor Swift kelvin13ma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 01:10:26 CDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:51 AM, Andrew Trick <atrick at apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 8:44 PM, Taylor Swift <kelvin13ma at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> cool,, as for UnsafeMutableRawBufferPointer.copy(from:bytes:), I cannot
> find such a function anywhere in the API. There is copyBytes(from:)
> <https://developer.apple.com/documentation/swift/unsafemutablerawbufferpointer/2635415-copybytes>,
> but the documentation is messed up and mentions a nonexistent count:
> argument over and over again. The documentation also doesn’t mention what
> happens if there is a length mismatch, so users are effectively relying on
> an implementation detail. I don’t know how to best resolve this.
>

> We currently have `UnsafeMutableRawBufferPointer.copyBytes(from:)`. I
> don’t think your proposal changes that. The current docs refer to the
> `source` parameter, which is correct. Docs refer to the parameter name, not
> the label name. So `source.count` is the size of the input. I was pointing
> out that it has the semantics: `debugAssert(source.count <= self.count)`.
>
> Your proposal changes `UnsafeRawPointer.copyBytes(from:count:)` to
> `UnsafeRawPointer.copy(from:bytes:)`. Originally we wanted to those API
> names to match, but I’m fine with your change. What is more important is
> that the semantics are the same as `copyBytes(from:)`. Furthermore, any new
> methods that you add that copy into a raw buffer (e.g.
> initializeMemory(as:from:count:)) should have similar behavior.

I’m fine with switching to taking the count from the source, though I think
taking the count from the destination is slightly better because 1) the use
cases I mentioned in the other email, and 2) all the other memorystate
functions use self.count instead of source.count, if they take a source
argument. But being consistent with the raw pointer version is more
important.

Should the methods that don’t deal with raw buffers also be modified to use
the source argument (i.e. UnsafeMutableBufferPointer.initialize(from:))?

Also, was there a reason why UnsafeMutableRawBufferPointer.copyBytes(from:)
uses the source’s count instead of its own? Right now this behavior is
“technically” undocumented behavior (as the public docs haven’t been
updated) so if there was ever a time to change it, now would be it.

—

> Another thing. The initialization methods that you’re adding to
> `UnsafeRawPointer` and `UnsafeRawBufferPointer` should return typed
> `UnsafePointer<Element>` and `UnsafeBufferPointer<Element>` respectively.

I’ll fix that once the current pending edit
<https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/741> gets merged.