[swift-evolution] [planning] [discussion] Schedule for return of closure parameter labels (+ world domination ramble)

Chris Lattner clattner at nondot.org
Fri Aug 4 12:32:02 CDT 2017

> On Aug 4, 2017, at 9:16 AM, Mathew Huusko V via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Per https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution-announce/2016-July/000233.html <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution-announce/2016-July/000233.html>, the removal of parameter labels entirely was accepted as a temporary loss for Swift 3 as a means to remove them from the type system. I'm wondering if they're coming back (syntactically) any time soon?

The planning approach for Swift 5 hasn’t been announced yet, but it should be soon-ish.

Responding to the rest of your email in broad terms: there will always be a ton of things that are important and interesting to tackle.  There is also a long road ahead of Swift, so prioritization is not a bad thing: just because something doesn’t happen “now” doesn’t mean it never will.

I would also argue that it would be *bad* for the language to evolve too fast.  Landing 20 major features all in the same year runs the very high risk that they doesn’t work well together and don’t have time to settle out properly.  It is far more important for Swift to be great over the long term than to have any individual little feature “now”.

-Chris