[swift-evolution] TrigonometricFloatingPoint/MathFloatingPoint protocol?

Taylor Swift kelvin13ma at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 12:04:40 CDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 3:29 AM, Tino Heth <2th at gmx.de> wrote:

> Well that there is a rather defeatist attitude. If you are correct that
> Apple-funded development is the only way to get core libraries built (and
> maintained), and Apple has expressed they have no intention of doing so,
> then we are all pretty much f****d.
>
> I don't think Apple-funded development is the only way — it's just that
> the alternative takes much more time.
> But ihmo the funding don't has to be large:
> I wonder what would happen if Ted picked a random Swift developer, and
> gave him the maintainer credentials for an empty Result<T>-repo on the
> official github page of Swift...

It requires help from both ends. Picking a random girl or guy off Twitter
and making them Lead Math Library Developer™ is unlikely to work. At the
same time, without “official” endorsement, a motivated individual with a
great library is unlikely to be able to carry their product to mass
adoption either. Both factors have to be present.