[swift-evolution] [Pitch] New Version of Array Proposal

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Thu Aug 3 00:14:30 CDT 2017

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 21:45, Daryle Walker via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I’m not good at explicit explanations, so having to justify adding a type that’s been around for a long time (at least FORTRAN 4+ decades ago) an almost every systems programming language has is frustrating. I thought the desire would be obvious; if there were FSAs in Swift 1, would there be any “just slap Collection on tuples and be done with it” suggestions now? It doesn’t help that I still don’t know why FSAs where skipped in Swift 1; did they forget or was there some high-level type-theory reason? (Were the type description records in the Swift ABI too fragile for a type that wouldn’t have per-sub-object entries (assuming theoretical Swift-1-FSAs weren’t translated to massive homogenous tuples)?)

This is purely a guess, but I think it was just that there's only so much time and there's not much that actually *requires* FSAs, other than to remove overhead.

Actually, as they've been described in this thread, I think that's all they do? The way we'd previously discussed them, they could conform to protocols and such, like any other type.

- Dave Sweeris