[swift-evolution] TrigonometricFloatingPoint/MathFloatingPoint protocol?

Taylor Swift kelvin13ma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 21:42:48 CDT 2017

Trying to gather together a bunch of unpaid people won’t automatically
solve the problem. (We *can* agree that there *is* a problem, yes?) I think
Swift Breeze demonstrated that. (Incidentally, throwing a bunch of money at
the problem won’t automatically solve it either — look at the US
government.) But then again, it can still *help*, and while it sounds
cheesy, *how much* it can help depends entirely on the attitude of the
contributors; whether they see themselves as solo authors listed on a
package index, or as part of a bigger effort. I’m not really a fan of
waiting for Apple to save the day. One of the things I’ve argued for that
*can* be done without Apple’s help is setting up another Swift library
incubator like Breeze. Obviously it won’t magically lead to a Swift math
library but it does remove some of the obstacles I mentioned earlier:

- it links together disparate solo projects and provides discoverability to
users
- it provides a package index and serves as a dashboard to check up on the
“state of Swift library support”
- it gives a venue for interested people to discuss the general topic of
library support
- it helps network people who are working on similar things (a “soft
factor” but important!)

tldr; self-organization isn’t a panacea, but it helps.