[swift-evolution] TrigonometricFloatingPoint/MathFloatingPoint protocol?

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 16:08:29 CDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Taylor Swift <kelvin13ma at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Gor Gyolchanyan <
> gor.f.gyolchanyan at icloud.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 2, 2017, at 4:35 AM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
>> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:38 PM, Taylor Swift <kelvin13ma at gmail.com> w
>> rote:

>>> That sounds like it would spam the general list a lot?
>>>

>> On the contrary, core team members have confirmed that working proposals
>> such as those are the principal intended use for this list; it is *not*
>> meant to be a general forum for musings about Swift language design.
>>

>> My rule of thumb was that any post on the mailing list that I make has to
>> be aimed at providing a solution to a problem, or at the very least,
>> seeking help in providing a solution to a problem. If the discussion has no
>> definitive actionable outcome, then I consider it pointless.
>>

> At the same time, people should be able to float ideas here to see how
> well they would be received before investing the energy into writing up a
> proposal. I certainly wouldn’t spend time drafting up an entire API spec
> for a math library without first checking that this is something that the
> community actually wants.

I would mostly agree with that statement, except for the word "here." Swift
Evolution clearly isn't representative of the community of Swift users
generally; there are Slack channels, Reddit groups, and other forums which
are intended to be a place for general discussion, and which would probably
get you a good sense of what users want. I definitely agree with Gor that
the "actionable outcome" rule of thumb is a pretty good guideline for
what's most effective on this mailing list.

The other point I'd make here is that I definitely think the core team is
right about encouraging any "entire API spec" for a math library to be
based on implementation experience from actually writing a math library
that has seen good adoption. Essentially, what they're saying is that any
proposed design here should have already proved itself in the field. I
assume that you are well aware of Conway's law, which afaict has good
evidence to back it up; with that in mind, the end product that emerges
from a draft spec and an empty open-source repo is unlikely to be
satisfactory, let alone optimal.