[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Explicit Non-Default-Implemented Protocol Requirements

Gor Gyolchanyan gor.f.gyolchanyan at icloud.com
Wed Aug 2 10:44:05 CDT 2017

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 6:18 PM, Tino Heth <2th at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Gor,
>
> [I'll continue to answer below, but that wont help you with your proposal…]
>
> The question is wether this
> protocol Equatable {
>
> 	static func == (_ some: Self, _ other: Self) -> Bool
>
> 	default static func != (_ some: Self, _ other: Self) -> Bool
> }
>
> extension Equatable {
>
> 	static func != (_ some: Self, _ other: Self) -> Bool {
> 		[Your Code Here]
> 	}
>
> }
>
> is better than
>
> protocol Equatable {
>
> 	static func == (_ some: Self, _ other: Self) -> Bool
>
> 	static func != (_ some: Self, _ other: Self) -> Bool {
> 		[Your Code Here]
> 	}
>
> }
>
> I don't think so, and therefore, I don't want to add a new keyword (or, more precise, a new meaning for an existing keyword).
> Both solutions could coexist, but I doubt that implementation inside protocol body leaves enough room for "default func".

I'll reiterate: the problem with the inline solution is that it forces all code to be bunched up in a single place and sacrifices readability.

> - Tino
>
>>> Fileprivate has been there for years, it just was called private — and because the "church of extensions" ;-) has been so powerful, we finally ended up with what we have now.
>>
>> Yes, I was here. The fact that we started off with private behaving the way it does now is history now. The point stands: extensions in the same file as the type definition have an extra guarantee that enable the compiler to provide extra features based on that: the guarantee that the extension and the type definition will always be visible simultaneously, thus, implicitly merging the extension into the type definition is possible. It's not possible to do in any other way, because a file is the only unit of compilation that's more-or-less guaranteed to be atomically parsed. A module is separated into files, which can be compiled into objects separately, making it impossible for the compiler to know if any extension in any of the other files will change the layout of the type.
> The compiler won't care where if a method is defined in the type declaration, or in an extension in the same file.
> What extra guarantee could those extensions offer?

The extra guarantee that all non-same-file extensions don't have: the guarantee that the extension can be deterministically merged with the type definition before the type definition is emitted.

>>> The thing is: This is just a claim that gets repeated over and over. There is no proof, and I even don't know a single study on that topic.
>>
>> Take a look at this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns>There's nothing about Swift, neither about extensions, in this article.
> I don't want to start throwing around buzzwords, but there's also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_repeat_yourself <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_repeat_yourself>
The Don't Repeat Yourself principle states that providing generic solutions to domains of problems is superior to providing largely similar solutions to specific problems. If anything, separating related bunches of code helps reduce extra work by localizing the code in a way that makes refactoring and debugging easier.
The separation of concerns is a well-known software design and implementation principle whereby code quality (which encompasses readability, maintainability, extensibility, portability) are improved through strict separation of logically unrelated (or loosely related) parts of the code.

>>> But extensions are no tool to do so: They have no features that offer any protection, exactly like comments — they are just more typing and don't show up properly in Xcode.
>>>
>>> import UIKit
>>>
>>> class MyViewController: UIViewController {
>>> }
>>>
>>> extension MyViewController: UITableViewDataSource {
>>>
>>>     func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, numberOfRowslnSection: Int) -> Int {
>>>         return 1
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, didSelectRowAt: IndexPath) {
>>>         print("Hu, isn't this a delegate method?")
>>>     }
>>> }
>>>
>>> extension MyViewController: UITableViewDelegate {
>>>     func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, numberOfRowsInSection: Int) -> Int {
>>>         return 99
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, cellForRowAt indexPath: IndexPath) -> UITableViewCell {
>>>         let cell = UITableViewCell(style: .default, reuseIdentifier: "")
>>>         cell.textLabel?.text = "I should get my data from a datasource"
>>>         return cell
>>>     }
>>> }
>>>
>>> This is perfectly valid Swift, and it is build on extensions — but does it increase the quality of the code?
>>> Same file extensions are nothing but a different pair of parenthesis to surround your code, and since Swift 4, you can shuffle around those delimiters however you like, and it has still the same meaning for the compiler.
>>> They enforce nothing, and so far, I haven't seen any ideas to increase their power.
>>
>> The compiler also doesn't stop you from making a wide variety of design choices, a comprehensive list of which can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-pattern#Programming <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-pattern#Programming>
>> For instance, have you tried reading the implementation of sin function in glibc? It's a very thick spaghetti code, sprinkled with a bucketful of magic numbers. It's absolutely impossible to comprehend.
>>
>> Any language limitation should only be implemented if it passes the threshold where the gain of safety and convenience outweighs the loss of flexibility and the cost of implementing the limitation.
>> In your example, the gain of convenience is much lower than the cost of implementing it and loss of flexibility.
> What?
> I didn't talk about adding limitations, and my example just shows that that "extension-oriented programming" doesn't add safety, just like comments — simply because the compiler strips both kinds of decoration.

Your example demonstrated a hypothetical lack of a compiler limitation that would make extensions more convenient and I demonstrated that such a limitation (namely, forcing protocol conformance and implementation of protocol requirements to be in a single extension) would not be a good idea.
Extensions are not decoration. They're at the very least access control tool. Extensions can have private members that are only visible to the extension and all other extensions in the same file. You can put many extensions into separate files and have them all operate on private members without exposing those private members and without having to bunch them all up into one place.

>>> True — but does that stop a protocol from being a way to group related methods?
>>
>> Protocols are not free. They come at a cost of wrapping the object in an existential container and make indirect calls via the witness table. Extensions on value types are free.
> All true — but not an answer to the question ;-)

The answer is no. Extensions are specifically designed to group related methods and they have minimal overhead. Protocols have overhead (even if that overhead is not nearly as much as a class overhead) and serve the purpose of providing polymorphism. Protocols also pollute the global namespace and introduce complexity to the interface, so they also have an overhead of complexity. Extensions do none of those things.
Using protocols simply for bunching up related methods is similar to using a bulldozer for digging a hole in a sandbox.