[swift-evolution] Setting expectations on when we move to Discourse

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Tue Aug 1 23:44:56 CDT 2017

> On Jul 20, 2017, at 9:20 AM, Tino Heth <2th at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> Moving to Discourse (from the mailing lists) is something that is being scoped out, but I wanted to lay some expectations that the move will not be immediate.
>
> I can comprehend that hard problems like ABI-stability take a while, but imho it's no good sign that a (a least from a technical standpoint) simple task like setting up a server needs so much time.
>
> That status update is quite old now, and I guess many have been disappointed that the switch wasn't finished until or during the last WWDC…
> Is the move still on the agenda, or did the decision die silently in the last months? (or did I just break my spamfilter and I'm already receiving messages from Discourses' mail gateway? ;-)

Hi Tino,

You are right to be anxious about this.  When we decided to move to Discourse people were quite busy with other things we had already planned to do.  Our infrastructure efforts were focused on things like the source compatibility suite, and there simply was a lot to do and I probably underestimated the amount of time we’d need to move to Discourse.  To me this wasn’t about just moving from a mailing list to a forum, but in the process make sure we did something that worked ideally for the community.  Unfortunately stuff just took longer than expected, and by the time we got closer to June (with WWDC and a public beta of Swift 4) it wasn’t the right time to make this kind of change.  Now that Swift 4 is winding down we’re going to focus on making this happen. Where I failed here was not updating the community on what was going on.

I’m starting a new thread on this as part of getting community feedback on the transition. Thank you for being patient.

Ted