[swift-evolution] [discussion] compile-time execution and metaprogramming (was: "constexpr" for Swift 5)

swift at lng.la swift at lng.la
Tue Aug 1 12:50:06 CDT 2017

While we're considering compile-time execution, we should take a look at the `#run` directive in Jon Blow's Jai programming language. It allows you to run arbitrary code in your program at compile time and then utilize the output in your program.

This page has a good summary and an example of the feature: https://github.com/BSVino/JaiPrimer/blob/master/JaiPrimer.md#arbitrary-compile-time-code-execution

I'm no expert, so I'm not sure if there's a reason something like this wouldn't work in the world of Swift, but it seems extremely elegant and flexible.

Jarod