[swift-evolution] TrigonometricFloatingPoint/MathFloatingPoint protocol?

Taylor Swift kelvin13ma at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 13:00:09 CDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Michael Ilseman via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Tino Heth via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> So, this has been discussed before on the list many times in the past. The
> core team has stated that their preferred process for this is to have
> individuals write their own libraries, get real-world adoption, then (as
> consensus emerges) propose their inclusion as a core library.
>
> I already opened a new mail to write my answer, but than I thought "wait,
> scroll down, and look if Xiaodi did already post links" ;-)
> [But where have those potential core libraries been mentioned?]
>
> Anyways, my perception hasn't change much:
> I think it would be enough if someone from Apple would say "here's an
> empty github-repo called [math/statistics/algebra/
> crypto/graphic/image/audio/music/video/smtp/http…]; feel free to fork and
> create pull requests" and adding some democratic mechanism for acceptance
> on top of it.
>

> What would be your compatibility and stability expectations of such APIs?
> If there are any expectations, then the APIs would need careful design and
> thought. The Swift project faces a lot of design bandwidth limitations, so
> prioritize is always tricky.

The point of spinning off separate core library working groups would be so
that library feature requests and proposals can stop clogging up
swift-evolution. Then the swift-evolution core team could focus on the
compiler and the standard library and the community would take stewardship
of the core libraries through separate channels.