[swift-evolution] [Pitch] New Version of Array Proposal

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Tue Aug 1 02:21:03 CDT 2017

> FSAs intentionally don’t conform to Collection, because multi-dimensional arrays shouldn’t have to conform to a linear (by nature, hence the name “Sequence”) standard, at least by default.
I strongly oppose and think it is a really bad idea:
Even if arrays are modelled multi-dimensional, there's always a canonical way to iterate through their elements, and this is an essential feature of this data type.

Do you have any example for an existing optimisation that is important enough to cripple all fixed size arrays?
Those would not only be used to represent pixel buffers on a graphics card…

Also, if FSA have only one dimension (that's still my preference), all those issues are can be solved easily in the multidimensional structure build on top of the array.