[swift-evolution] [Idea] Custom keywords for operators.

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Mon Jul 31 18:20:33 CDT 2017

> On Jul 31, 2017, at 3:59 PM, Taylor Swift via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I’m gonna come out and say I’m not a fan of this at all. I’m already pretty suspicious of operator overloading, and I think supporting this would make Swift code much more difficult to read. Also, while for some reason everyone ignores this, this kind of syntax is almost impossible for text editors to highlight, which I think is an important consideration for any changes to language syntax.

As I said in some other thread, I'm not convinced we should be making design decisions based on potential aesthetic bugs in text editors. Not because syntax highlighting isn't important for non Xcode users, but because they're just that: bugs... Presumably they'll get fixed in the next release of whatever does your syntax highlighting.

Does anyone know if the new technologies that Xcode ties into are specific to swiftc/clang, or is LLVM in general now able to integrate with text editors for syntax highlighting, etc? This might be a hard sell if only works with Swift, but if it's a new service that LLVM provides for any language (or even just Swift & the Cs, given the laters' popularity), all your text editor's vendor has do is support that and it'll automatically get correct syntax highlighting info straight from the compiler itself.

- Dave Sweeris