[swift-evolution] [Planning][Request] "constexpr" for Swift 5

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 03:09:32 CDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 02:51 Gor Gyolchanyan <gor.f.gyolchanyan at icloud.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2017, at 10:40 AM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 02:15 Gor Gyolchanyan via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

>> size/stride, so how could the bounds not be needed during compile-time? The
>> compiler can't layout objects otherwise.
>> >
>> > Swift is not C; it is perfectly capable of laying out objects at run
>> time.  It already has to do that for generic types and types with resilient
>> members.  That does, of course, have performance consequences, and those
>> performance consequences might be unacceptable to you; but the fact that we
>> can handle it means that we don't ultimately require a semantic concept of
>> a constant expression, except inasmuch as we want to allow users to
>> explicitly request guarantees about static layout.
>>
>> Doesn't this defeat the purpose of generic value parameters? We might as
>> well use a regular parameter if there's no compile-time evaluation
>> involved. In that case, fixed-sized arrays will be useless, because they'll
>> be normal arrays with resizing disabled.
>

> OTOH, if the compiler can prove that a local array is never resized, why
> *shouldn't* it get all the benefits of a fixed-sized array without having
> to use a special syntax? Put another way, why shouldn't fixed-size be one
> of those optional attributes for arrays, like ownership will be for
> variables, that users can opt into for more performance but is otherwise
> automatically worked out by the compiler?
>

> Because the compiler shouldn't know what an array is (that is, what a
> Swift array is, not the C array that LLVM has a primitive type for).

Wait, why not? It already does, afaict, just as it knows about integers,
strings, etc. In fact, as I understand it, one dividing line between the
standard library and Foundation is whether or not a type needs compiler
knowledge of it.

And if the compiler doesn't know what an array is and what resizing means,
> then the array has to define that optimization hint itself, which will
> either involve new syntax for attaching metadata for declarative
> special-case solutions. Besides, it won't be getting the full benefits of
> fixed-sized arrays. The biggest benefit of fixed-size arrays is allocation
> cost (which is exactly zero for static fixed-sized arrays and a single
> clock cycle for unescaped local fixed-sized arrays), which is not going to
> improve if an array is simply forbidden from resizing.

I'm not speaking about under the hood; I'm speaking about spelling:

let foo: [Int] = [1, 2, 3] // this clearly needs no resizing
var bar: [Int] = [1, 2, 3] // not clear if this needs resizing
var baz: fixed [Int] = [1, 2, 3] // allow the user to tell the compiler

Under the hood, Swift optimizes as best it can.

For really fast storage, Clang has __builtin_alloca, which could be wrapped