[swift-evolution] [Planning][Request] "constexpr" for Swift 5

Daryle Walker darylew at mac.com
Sun Jul 30 17:13:30 CDT 2017

The first and third items in that list seem similar to the “strong type-alias” idea I just updated (at <https://gist.github.com/CTMacUser/c493f775075e946efdcfd85d38473291>). Is it close to what you’re talking about? I did the update because I recently looked up product and sum types again, and saw things called subtypes and quotient types. I realized that, with a little tweaking, strong-type-aliases could what would be needed to model sub- and quotient types.

> Imho the reflection capabilities that are needed to make the feature fly are the big tasks — using this information shouldn't be that hard, as it's just a explicit way of telling the compiler what to do.
> Assuming that reflection will be improved anyways, it might be a very cheap feature with huge benefit.

—
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie
darylew AT mac DOT com