[swift-evolution] [Pitch] New Version of Array Proposal

Taylor Swift kelvin13ma at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 10:45:54 CDT 2017

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 5:29 AM, Adrian Zubarev via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I wanted to read the proposal, but skipped it as soon as I’ve seen the
> syntax. From the esthetic point of you the proposed syntax is really ugly.
> Again I’m not speaking against the feature in general, nor against any of
> the technical benefits fixed-size array will provide to us. I simply
> dislike the syntax, which in my opinion does not fit to Swift.

What about a double colon?

let fsa:[5, 2::Int] = [5, 2::[::0, 0]: 5, [::5, 1]: 6, default: -1]

I think it might be better not pushing the fixed-size arrays here at all,
> but instead envision everything from a larger perspective. Wouldn’t be
> great to introduce value subtyping. Then enhance subtyping in general to
> allow static behavioral subtyping (also called type refinement)?
>
> I’d love to see something like that happen to Swift. Arrays could have
> behavior subtypes which would allow fixed-size arrays. Numerical types
> could be bounded with ranges and provide a lot of compile time benefits.

This sounds like a recipe for never making fixed size arrays happen at all.
I’d rather actually get the base feature (contiguous variables) in first,
then worry about static behavioral subtyping later.