[swift-evolution] Pitch: Improved Swift pointers

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Wed Jul 19 14:26:41 CDT 2017

> On Jul 19, 2017, at 12:11 PM, Taylor Swift <kelvin13ma at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> More important I think is the immutable buffer pointer overloads for `initialize(from:)` and `assign(from:)`. Currently the compiler doesn’t recognize `UnsafeBufferPointer` as a subtype of `UnsafeMutableBufferPointer`. Idk if it’s worth waiting for this to get added to the compiler, or just cover it in the standard library.

There are no plans to add this support to the compiler. For now, the the necessary overloads should be added to the standard library.

Sorry if I caused confusion over the implicit casting support. That’s really meant to handle `inout` references to variables but happens to work for UnsafeMutablePointer->UnsafePointer.

-Andy