[swift-evolution] Enforce non-nil assignment to an implicitly unwrapped optional property?

Robert Bennett rltbennett at icloud.com
Wed Jul 19 08:37:32 CDT 2017

Another valid reason to nullify implicitly unwrapped optional would be to free up some memory. I don’t think we want to disallow this behavior.

If you really need to be unable to assign nil to an implicitly unwrapped optional, you can fake it using this code. S.value acts like an implicitly unwrapped optional, except that the compiler won’t let you assign an optional to it.

struct S {
	struct T {
		var value: Int
	}