[swift-evolution] Pitch: Improved Swift pointers

Taylor Swift kelvin13ma at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 23:59:04 CDT 2017

I’ve drafted a new version of the unsafe pointer proposal based on feedback
I’ve gotten from this thread. You can read it here
<https://gist.github.com/kelvin13/1b8ae906be23dff22f7a7c4767f0c907>.

~~~

Swift’s pointer types are an important interface for low-level memory
manipulation, but the current API design is not very safe, consistent, or
convenient. Many memory methods demand a capacity: or count: argument,
forcing the user to manually track the size of the memory block, even
though most of the time this is either unnecessary, or redundant as buffer
pointers track this information natively. In some places, this design turns
UnsafePointers into outright *Dangerous*Pointers, leading users to believe
that they have allocated or freed memory when in fact, they have not.

The current API suffers from inconsistent naming, poor usage of default
argument values, missing methods, and excessive verbosity, and encourages
excessively unsafe programming practices. This proposal seeks to iron out
these inconsistencies, and offer a more convenient, more sensible, and less
bug-prone API for Swift pointers.

The previous draft
<https://gist.github.com/kelvin13/a9c033193a28b1d4960a89b25fbffb06> of this
proposal was relatively source-breaking, calling for a separation of
functionality between singular pointer types and vector (buffer) pointer
types. This proposal instead separates functionality between
internally-tracked length pointer types and externally-tracked length
pointer types. This results in an equally elegant API with about one-third
less surface area.