[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0182 - String Newline Escaping

David Hart davidhart at fastmail.com
Mon Jul 17 06:42:57 CDT 2017

To add a data point, I migrated the Swift Package Manager to use Swift 4’s multi-line strings this weekend. Nearly all of the resulting multi-line strings required an ending new-line, forcing me to write the following pattern everywhere:

let text = ""”
    lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
    consectetur adipiscing elit
    sed do eiusmod

    “""

I agree that the Swift Package Manager is only one data-point, that mostly uses multi-line strings to append string content to files. Another project with SQL queries in multi-line strings might not really want an ending newline.

For reference, here is the Pull Request: https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/pull/1272/files <https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/pull/1272/files>

David.