[swift-evolution] [Pitch] KeyPath based map, flatMap, filter

Benjamin Herzog mail at benchr.me
Sun Jul 16 11:34:27 CDT 2017

If it would be possible to make objects callable, wouldn't that also go
in the same direction as subscripts currently? One could also implement
it with the syntax for callable functions (in this case anonymous -
without a name). Instead of this:

subscript(index: Int) -> T

we could also write

func (_ index: Int) -> T

On the call side it would change from this:

list[3] to list(3)

I know that it's not necessary and not even better readable, but it goes
in the same direction in my opinion and is worth considering. What do
you think?

Benjamin Herzog