[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Array full proposal

Robert Widmann rwidmann at apple.com
Wed Jul 12 15:05:09 CDT 2017

I think this proposal is trying to do too much at once.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re proposing

1) New sugar for fixed-length arrays without a corresponding stdlib declaration
2) Arity and type inference for literals
3) Default initialization semantics for arrays including a DI exception for fixed-length arrays that aren’t fully initialized
4) 2 new attribute declarations for unspecified concurrency semantics
5) A magical compiler intrinsic that declares loop counters
6) Static collection subtyping constraints referencing convertibility constraints we don’t currently have
7) Tuple conversions

I believe your aims are noble, and this is certainly a tremendously important problem we need to solve, but I think there needs to be a measured response to the current state of things.

~Robert Widmann