[swift-evolution] [Pitch] KeyPath based map, flatMap, filter

Robert Bennett rltbennett at icloud.com
Tue Jul 11 20:28:43 CDT 2017

Just realized that even inout functions don’t let you do member(object) = value. So you’re right, the write access does make keypaths more like subscripts. But when restricted to read-only access, they are identical to (non-inout) functions and so it does seem natural to be able to use them as such for the purpose of map and similar functions.

You’ve convinced me that the sigil method is probably preferable... Since write access does make keypaths more like subscripts, the proper way to convert keypaths to functions is probably an explicit piece of punctuation.