[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Introduces endianness specific type

Jens Persson jens at bitcycle.com
Sun Jul 9 11:35:18 CDT 2017

I don't think I'm misunderstanding you, but I might be, so I'll add more
detail:

If you look at the Metal article, you'll see that the (Swift) struct
"Vertex" is used to specify the data that is sent to Metal for creating a
buffer (using MTLDevice.makeBuffer). The result that the GPU will produce
surely depends on the fields of the Vertex struct (x, y, z, r, g, b, a)
being in the specified order (ie swapping the red channel with the x
coordinate would produce an unexpected result).

And regarding the second example, pixel structs used for manipulating
raster image data. Manipulating raster image data presumably includes stuff
like displaying to screen, loading and saving raster images.
I currently use this way of doing this right now without any problems, but
if the order of the fields (eg a, r, g, b) should change in the future,
then my code would break (the colors of the images would at least not come
out as expected).

/Jens